Saturday 8 June 2013

English 2

Class Assignment 1: Observing the Familiar (Vegetable)

     My first class assignment of English 2 was writing an essay by observing a vegetable. When the lecturer asked every student to think about a name of vegetable and wrote it down on a piece of paper prepared by him. Immediately, the only name of vegetable came out from my mind was sweet corn. 

     At first, I thought it was difficult to write an essay just based on a sweet corn. All on my mind was it was just my favorite vegetable, no more can be described! I was lost, not knowing how to start on this assignment. Eventually, I felt distressed as I knew I have to spend a lot of time in order to do well in this assignment.

     I did not observe a vegetable before. When I hold the sweet corn closer to my face, I discovered some of the details that I have never noticed before. Before i wrote the essay, i kept observing the sweet corn, including smell, hear, touch, and taste. 
     Here is my pre-writing of the essay, which is a mind map. 


  


And here is my photo with my sweet corn =D!


     Through this assignment, I have learnt to demonstrate the ability to reflect on my work. Also, I have learnt to communicate the relevant ideas in a clear, logical and appropriate academic English. Furthermore, from this assignment, I knew that my weakness is grammar mistake. However, I am happy that I have learnt some knowledge about vegetable, especially sweet corn by observing.


Class Assignment 2: 
compare/contrast essay on selected television genres

     In this assignment, we were required to compare any two English language drama series/ programme series which are historical movies or musicals movies. For me, music is a big factor in helping the illusion of the movie comes to life. It is because music brings something more, something that we cannot express only by images and words. Therefore, I chose to compare musical movies for this assignment. 

      I am a musical movie lover. I have watched numerous musical movies in my life when I was a kid. However, there are two musical movies which touched my heart and soul recently. They are “Pitch Perfect” and “High School Musical”. I compared the similarities of “Pitch Perfect” and “High School Musical” in this essay, such as characteristics of main characters, moral value, and happy endings of a relationship in the plot.



     I like this assignment very much because I can watch these movie again and again before i worked on my essay. Through this assignment, I have learnt to demonstrate the ability to ‘read’ a television series, for example, to understand and interpret the chosen television series genre.
Besides that, I have also learnt to demonstrate the ability to compare, analyse and synthesize information from two television series in an essay and explain them clearly and logically. Overall, I am satisfied with my this assignment because I have improved my writing skills. 


Class Assignment 3: Group debate


     Our third assignment was a group debate. Firstly, we were required to form a group of 3. My group members were Tan Ai-Qi and Chuah Jun Zhi. Then, one member of each group had to pick up a number which represent the topic that we have to debate in front of the class. Our topic is number 3 which is "There are too many cases of theft, robberies and other crimes in Malaysia due to the uncontrolled number of illegal immigrants in the country".

     After that, I started to discuss the chosen topic with Ai-Qi and Jun Zhi. At the beginning, I felt that it was a tough assignment as I am always nervous while speaking in front of people. However, after practiced a few times, I  have gained some confidence.
     I have learnt to communicate according to the situation and purpose and demonstrate an ability to analyse and response to various issues in the debate topic through this assignment. In addition, I am able to explain the basic ideas of the chosen topic with reference to other materials sourced either online or in the library. Mr. Woon said that I was reading the notes and lack of eye contacts during the debate. I am not very satisfied with my performance too as I was too nervous. However, I felt happy that I have built a better rapport with my group members. 


Final Assignment: Research Report + Presentation

           Here comes to our final assignment of English 2! It was a research report and a speaking task. It was my favourite assignment because I had the chance to have a trip to Penang with my lecturer and course mates. We were required to form a group of 4. My group members were Cheah Hoong Fei, Tan Ai-Qi and Joshua Ting. Then, we were required to interview at least 3 shops in Penang which related to the chosen business trade. Our chosen business trade was "Art Supplies and Stationery".

     The shops that we had visited and interviewed were Van Hin Book Company, Asia Educational Supplies Sdn. Bhd. and Nan Yang Book Company Sdn. Bhd. This was my first time interviewing for an assignment. It was quite tough because some of the owners of the shops speak Hokkien and I cannot speak. Luciky, Ai-Qi is the one who can speak Hokkien in our group. The task to interview those shops was going smoothly. Therefore, we had some time to walk around the area and have some nice food! =D

     After come back from Penang, we were required to do a research report according what we had interviewed in Penang such as the history of the shops, the problems that they faced, ans so on.
     
           Here are some photos, enjoy =D





         
             After that, we were required to do a Power Point slide show and film a video for our English speaking task. In the task, as business consultants, we were required to explain the difficulties and opportunities involved in running a business that supplies arts supplies and stationery to a group of young men and women in their mid thirties looking for a career change.     


           From this assignment, I have learnt to identify the key issues in the question and explain them clearly and logically. Also, I have learnt to demonstrate the ability to prepare questionnaires and interviews to obtain information about the topic. Besides that, I knew how to demonstrate the ability to analyse and synthesize information and compile them in the report. Lastly, I have learnt how to present information clearly and appropriately to one’s target audience.
    
           Overall, I enjoy attending the English class on this semester. Thanks to my lecturer, Mr. Woon.
      






 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment